Middle School Program Manager
Functional Area: General Management and Program Development
Organization: Brookline Teen Center
Location: 40 Aspinwall Ave. Brookline, MA
The Brookline Teen Center (BTC) was opened in September 2013 and is a registered 501c3 that operates independently of the town. The BTC has been in operation for six years and is an innovative and creative environment that supports teens in finding their best selves. The BTC was originally designed to serve high school students but over the last two years it has grown to serve many middle school students as well. With the creation of Middles School Mondays (MSM) it has become clear that there is high demand for program offerings for middle school students. Currently the BTC offers drop in hours for middle schoolers on Mondays from 2:30-7:00PM and an array of structured programs throughout the course of the week including but not limited to classes in our makerspace, aerial silks classes, parkour, music and more. For more information about the Brookline Teen Center, please visit http://www.brooklineteencenter.org
Position: Middle School Manager Reports to: Executive Director
This position will be responsible for managing the staff that work with middle schoolers, managing program content, scheduling, collaborating with outside providers to maintain existing programs and develop new program offerings. Additionally this position will collaborate with the Executive Director to explore the potential expansion of the middle school program. The ideal candidate will have experience in running and creating engaging programming for 6ththrough 8thgrade members, have had success in building strong outside partnerships and ideally has some marketing experience through the use of email marketing software and social media. Although this position will be heavily focused on the middle school program it will also entail work collaboratively with the Teen Program Manager to implement programs for teens while building relationships and ensuring a safe, constructive environment. This position is salaried and schedule requires afternoon and evening hours.
- Collaborate with team members to fulfil mission of the Brookline Teen Center (social and emotional well-being, physical and recreational opportunities and educational and enrichment activities).
- Oversee all aspects of the management of the middle school program while continuing to develop it through increasing partnerships as well as developing and implementing both on-site and off-site programming opportunities for middle school members.
- Work in conjunction with the Executive Director to explore the potential increase in the number of programming hours for middle school members in order to expand the program to meet the needs of the middle school community.
- Coordinate in hiring, supervising and supporting all Youth Leaders which includes:
- Supervise 6-8 adult Youth Leaders as well as teen staff and volunteers for the middle school program.
- Providing bi-weekly 30-45 minute supervision to the Youth Leaders as well as giving
in-the-moment feedback and coaching/on-the-job training to strengthen their youth work skills.
Managing their schedules to best meet the needs of the Teen Program.
- Conducting annual performance evaluations.
- Maintaining a climate that attracts and motivates a diverse staff.
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with outside vendors offering middle school programming opportunities.
- Oversight of the daily schedule including prepping spaces for incoming groups/sub-contracted activities and communicating with Youth Leaders so everyone knows the plan for the day.
- Lead program activities for middle school members.
- Build meaningful relationships with middle school members. Serve as role model, mentor and advisor.
- Coordinate volunteers and provide supervision and oversight
- Assist in developing policies and procedures for the Center
- Assist in membership recruitment.
- Assist with Communication (newsletter and outreach to donors, community and members).
- Work in conjunction with the Teen Program Manager during teen member hours:
- Lead program activities for teens.
- Build meaningful relationships with teens. Serve as role model, mentor and advisor.
- Oversight of all aspects of Teen Program to ensure safety and smooth operations.
- Other Tasks as Assigned
There is some ability to be flexible with schedule but ideally, we are looking for Monday 12 – 8PM, Tuesday – Thursday 12:00pm-8:30pm and Friday 12:00pm-10:30pm.
- Minimum 5 years of direct youth work having demonstrated increasing responsibilities
- Previous management and/or supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience in developing youth programming
- Strong ability to build meaningful relationships with youth coming from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to hire, lead and support a dedicated and passionate staff
- Creative and outside of the box thinker
- Willingness to advocate on youth’s behalf
- Commitment to the mission and vision of BTC, with strong experience in youth development programs preferred
- An entrepreneurial spirit, energized by the challenge building an organization and developing programs to meet the needs of Brookline teenagers
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, with the ability to build relationships with a variety of constituents and present a compelling case for organizational support
- Outstanding organizational ability with focused attention to detail and follow-up
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Ability to travel locally and work a flexible schedule, must be able to work evenings and some weekends
- Drivers License in good standing
- Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format and addressed to Matthew Cooney firstname.lastname@example.org
The Brookline Teen Center is an equal opportunity employer