Mission Statement: Our names are Henry Shaffer and Jake Boyd. We are both BHS seniors and the current Directors of the Brookline Tutor Mentor Program (BTMP). The Brookline Tutor Mentor Program was founded in 2014 with the mission of connecting Brookline High School students and Brookline Middle School Students (6th, 7th and 8th graders), not just for academic tutoring, but also to build bridges across the community. The program is completely free and we welcome students of all socioeconomic backgrounds.
BTMP believes that middle school students can benefit both academically and socially from the mentorship of a high school student. Therefore, BTMP serves both those struggling academically and in need of one-on-one help, as well as those who would benefit from a strong role model.
Time and Place: The Brookline Tutor Mentor program collaborates with the Brookline Teen Center, which provides guidance, outreach, as well as a home base for our program. All Tutor/Mentor pairs meet at least once a week and are strongly encouraged to meet at the Teen Center from 10:30 to 12:30 on Sundays. If meeting on Sundays from 10:30-12:30 does not work, exceptions will be made to meet at a different day, time and/or location. Tutor/Mentors will work with their student to organize meeting times that work with both of their schedules.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Do we parents interview the mentors?
No, parents do not interview the mentors. After your child is paired with a mentor, you and your child will meet with the mentor and sort out scheduling.
2. Are kids assigned to specific mentors based on mentors skills, needs, etc?
Yes, the Directors do the assigning and take into account the weaknesses/areas the child needs help in, as well as the specific skill set of the mentor.
3. What is the objective of the program? To benefit kids? To benefit mentors?
The objective of the program is to build bridges across the community and, ideally, benefit both parties involved (both the student and the mentor). We are more concerned, however, with the academic needs of the student, and these needs will always be prioritized.
4. When does the program start and how long does the relationship continue?
The program will start as soon as we have enough students signed up, so please spread the word. The program can go for the entire year.
5. If I, as the parent/guardian, have any concerns, who should I contact?
The Directors of the Program, Henry Shaffer and Jake Boyd, who can be reached at email@example.com
6. Is there any cost to this program?
No. The Brookline Tutor Mentor Program is offered to Brookline 6th, 7th and 8th graders for free.
To sign up for the Brookline Tutor Mentor Program, please click here
to fill out the form.
- 12/3 – Session 1
- 12/10 – Session 2
- 12/17 – Session 3
- 12/24 – BTC Closed for winter vacation
- 12/31 – BTC Closed for winter vacation
- 1/7 – Session 4
- 1/14 – Canceled for MLK weekend
- 1/21 – Session 5
- 1/28 – Session 6
- 2/4 – Session 7
- 2/11 – Session 8
- 2/18 – Canceled for February vacation
- 2/25 – Canceled for February vacation
- 3/4 – BTC Closed for Gala Cleanup
- 3/11 – Session 9
- 3/18 – Session 10
- 3/25 – Session 11
- 4/1 – Session 12
- 4/8 – Session 13
- 4/15 – Canceled for April vacation
- 4/22 – Canceled for April vacation
- 4/29 – Session 14
- 5/6 – Session 15
- 5/13 – Session 16
- 5/20 – Session 17 (Final Session)
- 5/27 – BTC Closed for Memorial Day